Upgrades & Migrations in process automation
Migrations focus on increasing the efficiency and availability of an installation, and prolonging its service life. Agidens Infra Automation brings installations up to date: obsolete parts are either renewed or replaced.
Obsolete automated systems can cause a host of problems: systems can no longer be expanded, the installation no longer complies with legislation and standards, support is no longer guaranteed or the maintenance costs spiral upward. In many of these cases, a migration or update is advisable or even necessary.
Migrations focus on increasing the efficiency and availability of an installation, and prolonging its service life. Agidens Infra Automation brings installations up to date: obsolete parts are either renewed or, where necessary, replaced. Agidens takes care of migrations and upgrades of entire automation systems or of one or more parts in the case of PLC/SCADA, electrical installations and boards, communication cards and drivers.
Migration in three steps
The first step is to take an inventory of the existing systems and functionalities. Firstly, an inventory is taken of all the hardware and software. The focus then switches to all functionalities (recipe management, communication, Grafcet etc.) and back-ups. Is there any internal or external process knowledge available? What is the status of the documentation? We look at the maximum time the migration can take: is there scope for a longer downtime or do we need a phased conversion? A detailed inventory is the basis for a successful migration.
During this stage, the information gathered is checked and compared. One or more potential solutions will emerge from this. Together with the client, we select a new automation system and determine the standards it needs to comply with. Some of the focal points here are:
- Risk analysis: what are the consequences and risks of an upgrade? Will it have an impact on the rest of the infrastructure? Will the downtime have an effect on operations?
- Concept:choice of the new systems, software or components. We can, for example, migrate the whole system or only the CPU (and not I/Os) and select the communication technology.
- Planning: we avoid a ‘big bang’ approach. We define manageable sub-projects. In addition, we set out an action plan and specify the milestones.
With a well-thought-out and clearly communicated plan, we can start with the actual migration. In this stage, we carry out the detailed engineering and implement the new automation system (hardware and software). Extensive testing, both off-site (FAT) and on-site (SAT), guarantees a smooth transition to the new system. Wherever possible, a fallback plan will allow a return to the previous (or a workable) situation at any time.
We will provide the necessary as-built documentation and instruction manuals with descriptions of the changes: a different programming language, new communication protocol, electrical plans, operator manuals etc. A professional maintenance team offers 24/7 support.
Why use Agidens Infra Automation for updates and migrations?
- We have extensive engineering capacities and can conduct both small- and large-scale migrations. We ensure the necessary continuity (with a large team to guarantee that the migration process runs smoothly).
- Recognized integrator of several automation systems: Siemens, Rockwell Automation, Wonderware, GE, Schneider Electric.
- A special maintenance team is trained to provide 24/7 service support to our clients.
- We work with our client to find the best solution, aiming for high-quality commissioning and a long-term relationship.
- Our project approach guarantees on-time delivery. We are used to conducting migrations and upgrades during short shutdowns.
- We ensure increased system availability, which means that the installation can be brought in line with the applicable safety regulations.
How can we help?
Want to get to know Agidens Infra Automation? We are here to listen to your questions and challenges.